This recipe was the result of a search for ways to incorporate more greens into my daughter’s diet, during her more “selective” phase. Zucchini, basil and cheese come together in this simple and speedy dish, perfect for weeknights and that will please both young and mature palates.
- Half box (200g) elbow pasta or other short pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile make the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat, add the chopped onion and saute until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add the zucchini and saute until tender 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a blender with the basil, grated pecorino and blend until completely smooth.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl or serving platter.
- Pour the zucchini cream sauce over the cooked pasta, add the shredded mozzarella and toss.