Nothing says comfort quite like a bowl of pasta and chickpeas. The ingredients are simple but don’t disappoint. Some chopped kale added at the end of cooking adds a pop of colour and light heartiness to the dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 19oz can (540ml) chickpeas, drained
- 1L Water or 2 refills directly from the can
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2-inch piece of Parmesan rind
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups short pasta of choice, such as ditali
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- To serve: Freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- Warm the olive oil over medium-low heat, in a large pot.
- Add the onion and saute, 3 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid any browning.
- Add the garlic, chili flakes and stir to combine. Add the tomato paste, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, water, rosemary, parmesan rind, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and allow to cook, 20 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary and parmesan rind. Measure 1 cup of the soup and transfer to a blender. Purée until smooth, return to the pot and add the pasta and kale. Stir to combine, cover and allow to cook 10 minutes, stirring every so often, or until pasta is al dente.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan.