Warming, savoury yet slightly sweet thanks to tender parsnips, this soup is everything you’ll want and more on a cold winter’s day.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 celery, diced
- 1 pound bag parsnips, peeled and diced, about 2.5 cups
- 6 cups chicken broth (*for homemade broth recipe head here)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1-inch Parmesan rind
- Handful basil leaves
- 85g spaghetti noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery and gently saute until slightly softened, about 3 minutes, taking care not to brown the vegetables at this stage. Remove the garlic.
- Add the parsnips and saute 3 minutes more.
- Add the broth, shredded chicken, parmesan rind, basil and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, until the parsnips are tender. Add the noodles and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes more.
- Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan.
In the fridge: Keeps up to 4 days
In the freezer: Keeps up to 3 months
Keywords: soup, chicken noodle